Monday

Family Garden 101



We had a lovely day last Friday in our to-be-garden.

We were able to plant 10 lbs of red seed potatoes and 5 lbs of white potatoes as well as 1 1/2 lbs of onion sets both purple and white. I planted in 4 x 6 mounds instead of rows. We'll see in a few months how that works.

We also planted beets, brussel sprouts, turnips and collard greens. We planted the seeds in 2 foot wide rows. I didn't realize until after we had planted a 20 foot run of turnips that we weren't planting Purple-top turnips, which is what I thought I had purchased. Instead we planted Seven-top which is more for the greens than for the root.

It was first official "oops" of the garden; I'm sure it won't be the last! Does anyone know how Seven-top turnip bulbs taste?

It wasn't all work.  By our space we have a handy dandy checkerboard.

As I was buckling my almost 4 yo into the van he said, "Actually the tractor was most impressive".  All the kids got a laugh at that.  We've been repeating him all weekend.

It rained all day Sunday.  I couldn't stop thinking about how happy the rain makes my garden.

Totals
1 drive to the garden
3 hours of planting
$55 spent on potato and onion sets and a boat-load of various seeds.




11 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    It looks like you had a great day with your children. The tractor sure is a cool thing, I like them too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! It's still too cold here in Ohio to start our gardens - but I've been scouting out a new spot at our new home and dreaming!!! Can't wait to join you in the garden endeavors!!! Looks like fun!
    Courtney
    http://www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gardening. I love digging holes and getting into the dirt. We did our BIG garden last summer and now I don't know what to do - there is no more room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is our second year having a garden. I'm currently taking a Master Gardener course with the our local WVU extension office, so I'm really excited about what I am going to be bringing to both our garden and our homeschool this year.

    Since we're in WV, we've only uncovered the strawberries so far and turned over what is going to be our kitchen herb garden. We do have a bunch of seedlings growing all over our kitchen table and breakfast bar, along with grow lights hanging from the ceiling. It's a sight!

    http://www.mountaineercountrywv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Girl,

    If there is no more room now you can start obsessing and moving things around:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon,
    So you actually know what you are doing! I've always wanted to take a master gardener course. I hope you'll come back and link:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, thanks for sharing this! Sounds exciting, and I love the tractor comment -- my son would feel the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that giant-spool-turned-checkerboard-table! Now I am desperately coveting one for my garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute how the shovel is taller than the little one in the first picture. Thanks for sharing this on The Homeschool Lounge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We hope to be planting by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a community garden near us that donates the food to the needy in the community. We can't wait to begin helping out a bit. Thanks for sharing, it looks like you had a wonderfully productive and fun day!:)

    ReplyDelete